- See Truth! The 10 Myths of LASIK
See Truth! The 10 Myths of LASIK
- LASIK is new and not much is known: LASIK is over 20 years old, and a large number of LASIK studies have documented high satisfaction rates. Just this year, in a 1800 patient LASIK and contact lens study led by our practice, 97% of the patients who had LASIK to replace contacts said that LASIK was better than contacts three years following surgery.1
- LASIK isn’t permanent: LASIK lasts a lifetime! However, it does not prevent the onset of age related eye conditions such as changes to the natural lens. Around ages 40-60, the natural lens in the eye becomes inflexible, causing presbyopia. Fortunately, presbyopia can be treated by a clear lens exchange procedure at Price Vision Group.
“Every day I wake up and notice that I could see more clearly than I could before and that is a great feeling to have.”
– Jacob Givinden (click here to see full testimonial)
- LASIK is high risk; I could go blind: LASIK is very safe. Numerous clinical studies have shown that the risk of serious complications is low. With over 30 million people treated worldwide, there have been no reports of blindness. In our recent 1800 patient study, only 1% of patients thought that they were worse off after LASIK compared to contacts. In the rare cases LASIK is not better, patients can usually revert to wearing glasses or contacts to correct the issue.
- LASIK is painful and recovery is slow: LASIK is usually painless and most people have 20/20 vision the next morning. Numbing eye drops are used during surgery and a mild pain reliever is given afterwards.
- LASIK is expensive: LASIK is an investment that will end up saving you a lot of money compared with repeatedly replacing glasses and contact lenses. See how much you can save using our savings calculator from the menu to the right.
- I’m too young for LASIK and my prescription isn’t stable: If you are 18 or older, your eyes have probably finished developing. Most people have a stable prescription by age 21. To see if you are a candidate, schedule a free evaluation today.
- I’m too old for LASIK: People often have LASIK in their 40s and 50s, though sometimes a clear lens exchange may be a better option. An evaluation with our doctors will help you figure out what is best for you.
- If I am not a candidate for LASIK, there is nothing that can be done for me: Many people have come to our practice after being told they are not candidates for LASIK, only to find out that they can indeed enjoy LASIK. You can read some of their stories on our testimonial page. For those that truly are not candidates, we offer alternatives such as implantable contact lenses (ICLs) and PRK, which many patients find to be great, with some kind enough to write about their experiences with these other procedures.
- Lasers are all the same, technology doesn’t matter: Modern lasers can often give people even better vision than they had with glasses or contacts. Unfortunately many doctors are not using the latest technology. At Price Vision Group, we make sure our patients have access to the best technology. You can read more here.
- LASIK is simple and fast, the surgeon doesn’t matter: A surgeon’s levels of skill and experience are critical to ensuring consistent success for every patient. Our surgeons are recognized as being among the best in the world. They have trained over 600 other eye surgeons from 35 countries on advanced surgical techniques, and they have received numerous awards for contributions to improving the state of the art. Click to read more about Dr. Price and Dr. Feng.
You can find out more about LASIK by visiting the following pages:
Back to Top
The best way to determine if LASIK is a good option for you is to request a free LASIK screening here at Price Vision Group, or call us at 317-814-2933 to schedule your appointment.